Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Boobs and diabetes

…A study done at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston showed that nursing moms had lower blood sugar levels that those who didn’t breast-feed. For 12 years, 157,000 nurses were followed (calm down, by researchers). More than 6,000 developed Type 2 diabetes, but those who breast-fed for at least a year had a 15% lower incidence. Researchers described the effect as small and by no means guaranteed. Still, nursing benefits babies and maybe the Dairy Queen gets one, too! Only fair.

...Check out the comments. A reader has some more good reasons to breast-feed.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Oh the Dairy Queen gets *many* benefits including reduced risk of breast and ovarian cancer (hugely reduced risk of breast cancer if the Queen nursed for at least 24 months cumulative over all her babes), reduced fertility (also contributing to reduced risk of ovarian cancer), reduced risk of postpartum hemmorage (sp?), increased weight loss postpartum, and the best one--prolactin, the best legal "fix," ahhhhh.

Seriously, it's more correct to say that choosing not to risk increases your risk of a variety of problems b/c it remains the biological norm to nurse our children for a considerable amount of time. I personally feel the biggest benefits are peace of mind--knowing that I'm doing the best for my baby and enjoying this special time with him (or her, but alas, I seem unable to birth girl babies). :D

Gina

Star said...

Thanks for writing...all true. I hope others turn to your comment. Oh, and welcome to my blog! Although I am an old-school feminist, I was always proud to be a good breast feeder. I guess, come to think of it, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Gina said...

I agree that the two are not mutually exclusive. I am certainly a feminist, but also believe in a little more "woo-woo" brand of feminism these days: some sort of divine "feminist mystique." And breastfeeding puts us in touch (IMO) with that mystique and allows us to, even more and better, appreciate our strength and ability. It's a cool thing.

Gina

Star said...

Little-discussed. Breast feeding is kinda kicky for Mom!