Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Why grow up?


…Personally, HA has noticed no great advantage in knowing things about taxes, mortgages, and assisted living.

…She wishes she had never heard of cholesterol.

… Freedom News Service’s Jane Glenn Haas saw some 20-somethings skateboarding and was clucking about “the Peter Pans.”

…In her day, she said, these guys would already be married and be Dads. Grump, grump, judge, judge.

…Who says they weren’t?

…The term “rejuveniles” has been coined to mean older people interested in things younger people like.

…An aging expert (aren’t we all?), says extending youth is nothing—people are extending old age.

…She pegs the groupings as:
0-29…emerging young adult
29-40…young adult
40-55 …adult
55-75…middle-aged
75-95…seniors
95+…elderly

…Middle-aged at 75?

…How about brain middle-aged, knees senior? Could that be a category?

…HA read this morning that some health plans now let you include your kid up to age 29, even if the spawn is not in school.

…Let’s see, HA is now in the bloom of end-stage youth. Like that one?

…She recalls a story about Frank Sinatra. When he turned 50, one of the Rat Pack said, “Well, Frank, you are finally middle-aged.”

…”Yeah?” he shot back. “How many hundred-year-old guys do you know?”

1 comment:

Bill Thomasson said...

Some decades ago, before I though of myself as "middle aged," I heard the aphorism, "Middle age is the period when it's harder to go up the stairs than to go down them."

"Hey, that's a pretty good definitioni," I thought. And today, with my 70th birthday a few weeks behind me, I still think so.

One point that may not be immediately obvious is that this depends on state of health as well as chronological age. I was a bit shrot of 64 when my good eye went bad -- and, rather abruptly, it became as hard to go down the stairs as to go up them. And yes, that was when I started to think of myself as being on the elderly side. With good eyes, I might well still be middle-aged.