Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Retirees dream of office life


…Do you like those commercials with Lincoln and the beaver? HA does. Or did. They are on too often.

…Writing in the WSJ (Dec 11, 2006), Ellen Graham writes about her dreamlife. She had been retired six years and her boss was back in the night berating her for neglecting her job and having fun at lunch.

…This is like the school dream where you can’t find the exam room or are sitting in class naked.

…She polled her friends—yup, they were still trying to justify themselves to crabby bosses, too.

…Often their office enemies are in every dream.

…Workplace dreams fall into demanding boss, overwhelming task, and stupid task.

…One night, Graham says, she was typing and typing, materials strewn everywhere, typing, typing, the story was going staler, someone scooped her, she typed on, all for naught. She could not stop.

…Reporter’s worst nightmare, she remarked.

…Like the school dream, workplace dreams are not moored to time. Being retired means nothing.

…The boss who berated her? He says he dreams of coming into a deserted newsroom and thinking he has to put out the paper by himself.

…Berating underlings did not make it into his dream.

3 comments:

twobuyfour said...

Just the other night I dreamed I was back at my previous job with all the stresses included, and people I disliked over the years. I think it was my subconscious telling me I shouldn't have switched jobs this summer just for more money, a nicer boss, more flexible hours, and more comfortable working conditions.

twobuyfour said...

Just the other night I dreamed I was back at my previous job with all the stresses included, and people I disliked over the years. I think it was my subconscious telling me I shouldn't have switched jobs this summer just for more money, a nicer boss, more flexible hours, and more comfortable working conditions.

Star said...

I get the school dream every so often, in times of stress...Ironically, I have read, school was a more comfortable time, more familiar, and never having taken a course or trouble finding the right room are comfy signs of uncertainty. I am not sure I buy it. It still feels pretty scary. I guess it's our desire to be "good."