Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hospital delirium


Several times I have had relatives in the hospital and their thinking became paranoid, skewed, or combative. Very!

Mom even ended up trussed up in restraints until we could get her cut loose.

Turns out this is not unknown and is even a little common for older people, especially.

Check this out: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/21/hallucinations-in-the-hospital/

Hospital delirium. It has a name.

The don’t know if it’s the drugs, the drug interactions, the jumbled noisy schedule round the clock, or fear or the disease or a combo…but people can get pretty turned around.

Usually, going home helps it a lot.

Another study I saw links poor vision with an increased likelihood of Alzheimer’s.

So get older people eye care!

I can’t see for crap anymore from my bad eye surgeries. If I begin to think dragons are after me (see above), you will know why.

By the way, dragons don’t exist, do they?

1 comment:

Star Lawrence said...

Followup story on what you can do to help an older person going in the hospital.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/six-questions-to-protect-elderly-patients/?ref=health