Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Pediatricians: Are you checking kids' mental health?


The American Academy of Pediatrics has added another duty to doctors’ lists. Checking kids for attention deficit, autism, anxiety and the like.

Pediatricians, the AAP says, should also research local resources and doctors for dealing with these disorders.

It’s estimated that 21% of children and adolescents have a disorder, but only a fifth of those get treatment.

You see kids coming in with depression, one source says.

Docs should ask parents and kids how the child is getting along with others and whether they are happy.

I can’t recall if this was ever done when my child was small. I know we had an old-school German pediatrician in her 70s.

I never thought she liked me. My daughter adored her, though. I think she would have questioned MY sanity.

No comments: