Friday, August 06, 2010

Kale chip, anyone?


My friend Gary Allen, a great foodie who wrote a book on cannibalism (OK, I know some unique people), told me about a site called REAL CHEAP FOOD.

This appealed to me financially and in terms of its no-nonsense naming philosophy.

Go to www.realcheapfood.com.

When I went to the site, the opening suggestion was Kale Chips. Cut up some kale, coat it with oil, and bake on a sheet at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, salt and eat.

People say they don’t even taste like kale!

You can also make mustard green chips. Collard green chips.

I asked my daughter if I should try it.

She said no.

Gary Allen’s nephews used to sneak around corners and point him out to their friends, whispering, “He’s a cannibal.”

Better not to judge.

1 comment:

Star Lawrence said...

Gary will put you on his email list (no people recipes, I promise) if you write him at: gary@onthetable.us. Just ask. He finds the best quotes on food, for example:

"Hunger makes you restless. You dream about food -- not just any food, but perfect food, the best food, magical meals, famous and awe-inspiring, the one piece of meat, the exact taste of buttery corn, tomatoes so ripe they split and sweeten the air, beans so crisp they snap between the teeth, gravy like mother's milk singing to your bloodstream."

Dorothy Allison