Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ooops--doc almost kills her dog


A physician writes in the NYT’s “Well Blog” (Jan 20, 2011), that she gave her limping German shepherd ibuprofen (three 600-mg pills) and he stopped eating and wet himself during the night.

Motrin is poison for dogs. The dog, Dexter, pulled through, but it cost the doctor $3,000.

Her kids told all her friends—Mom almost killed the dog!

Yeah,, the little ones are so great in that department.

She thought it would be OK because he takes glucosamine and thyroid medicine meant for people. Also Pepcid and Imodium (this pup might have issues).

She had also had dogs that ate what we call Doggy Death here—chocolate—and lived.

Well, ibuprofen is double trouble—ulcers and kidney failure.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) also a no-no. Grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure in dogs and cats. A whole bunch of onions—anemia. Macadamia nuts—muscle problems.

The worst is Xylitol—don’t let the dog chew gum.

For joint pain—Rimadyl maybe—though don’t take it yourself—it’s toxic to humans.

I use my cat’s antibiotic cream. Here I am—alive.

No comments: