Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Traveling? Bring provisions


You may think going on vacay means eating out all the time, but it may not work out that way.

I am not an experienced traveler by any means, and when I went on a press trip to Majorca a friend told me to take some peanut butter crackers. They came in handy—in Spain, many places close during the day and reopen for a cocktail and then VERY late dinner hour. You can’t even get a sandwich at, say, 2 PM.

If you are traveling with kids, they get whiny for a snack quite often.

Keri Glassman, MS, RD, on eDiets, said to bring nonperishable snacks such as nuts, bran crackers, natural peanut butter, trailmix, and oatmeal packets.

Those 100-calorie packets are good, too, and fit in a pocket or purse.

At your stops, seek out a grocery store…get water, yogurt, lean deli meats.

Maybe even get a room with a kitchenette.

You may be surprised at how often this is helpful. I got sick in a hotel once and they did not have room service. When I began to feel better, I was hungry and had to beg the maid to get me some bread.

A cracker would have been welcome.

No comments: