Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hospitals no place for sick old people

Liz Szabo, USA TODAY, says nearly one in five Medicare patients leaves the hospital and then has to come back within a month--most with a new problem caused by the earlier hospitalization.

Say the hospitalization was for pneumonia--the lack of sleep for blood draws and vital signs may so weaken the person, they fall when they get home and break somehing.

Patients come to the hospital with one thing, leave with another, one doc said.

Even people who have good mental health can become psychotic in the hospital. One patient said she thought the ICU nurses were trying to kill her.

I always feel sort of scared and tentative when I leave the hospital--what if I need help?

I also remember being admitted to the hospital one time and saying, "I am glad to be out of the ER because everyone there seemed to have the flu." The nurse laughed and said, "What do you think everyone up here has?"

No comments: