Thursday, February 14, 2013

Don't let Fluffy scarf your pills


Kelli B. Grant, WSJ, Feb 12, 2013, says pet poisoning by human meds is becoming more common.

People are taking more drugs. Dogs like the amber bottles as chew toys (do you have any on your nightstand?).

Human medicines account for the majority of pet calls. Over the counter meds also are bad for pets, ditto for supplements. Dogs also get into their own veterinary meds.

One acetaminophen will kill a cat.

Adderall can cause seizures in dogs and cats.

Some supplements also smell delish to animals. (Dogs get in trouble more than cats, who are pickier, although they do favor Effexor, an antidepressant.)

What should you do if you find a chewed bottle on the floor or drop a pill and see the pooch dive on it? Well, don't go on the internet! Call the vet or better yet, have a pet poison control number on the fridge and seek expert advice PDQ.

Some dogs can open the fridge and many like to "counter surf" for interesting treats. Let's face it--they don't have much else to do.

No comments: