Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Learn to love PAs


And advanced practice nurses. This is the coming thing with the doctor shortages to be caused by that Obamacare stuff.

Melinda Beck wrote about this in the WSJ, Feb 4, 2013.

Of course, the states--some states--are objecting. They say these mid-level people need to be supervised by physicians at least for a period of time. These battles are getting quite heated as docs protect their turf--and they say, their patients.

Eighty percent of Physician Assistants (PAs) have an MA and about 27 mos of classroom and clinical work beyond college.

They can do almost anything a doctor can--including write prescriptions. They can;t perform full-on surgery, but they can remove tubes or even close incisions.

I have a PA as my primary. I used to be persnickety about wanting an MD. But this guy is smart and seems to like me and care what I think.

Lesson: Don't be too rigid.

No comments: