Thursday, March 07, 2013

Newer tattoo inks can cause trouble


What is a  nice Midwestern gal like me doing with tattoos? Enjoying them!

The Pew Research Center says more than a third of adults 18-25 report getting one.

But apparently the newer inks are no improvement. Ink used to be made of metal salts, lead, cobalt, and carbon.

Now--they contain organic azo dyes used in printing, textiles and car paint.

Allergic reactions are quite common, starting with itching or rashes months or years after the original application.

The inks can also cause psoriasis or eczema to flare. Sarcoidosis, an autoimmune disorder, can pop up years after.

A tattoo should never be placed over a mole--skin cancer can occur or you can get a bump that ruins the tatt.

Always go to a professional tattoo parlor. Insist on sterile packaging and autoclaving. Also--single use needles.

Oh, what a buzzkill. Darn.

1 comment:

Star Lawrence said...

When I got my first tatt at age 37 (I have two), the tattooist taped a paper towel over it. I asked about a Bandaid--he looked offended, "I am not a doctor," he sniffed. Good to keep in mind.