Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Chomp, chomp, don't stop, chomp

I know--you think you know how to eat. Wrong.

Heidi Mitchell (WSJ, Nov 19, 2013) says we don't know how to chew.

Digestion starts in the mouth. Chewing breaks down the food and mixes it with saliva, a lubricant containing enzymes. Chewing also keeps you from swallowing the toothpick in say, a club sandwich.

The cereal guy Harvey Kellogg, something of a health nut, said to chew each bite 35 times. He sort of made this up. Modern-day docs say maybe 10 times.

Chewing limits the calories that will be absorbed. It also cuts bloating.

Also you will feel full sooner if you chew chew chew.

Just putting the food into the esophagus, on doc said, provides no joy. You don't taste as much--maybe just the first bite.

I wouldn't go that far.

I would advise appreciating swallowing--if you have swallowing problems, it's miserable. I know, I have had them. The minute you think you can't swallow, you can't.


No comments: