Thursday, December 19, 2013

Try to keep your guests alive

Allergist Michael Foggs, MD, president of the American College of Allergy, asthma, and Immunology (acaai.org), says you can reduce allergens in your home--and spare touchy guests a load of discomfort.

Dander, saliva, and urine from animals can cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks. Keep pets in another room when allergic people visit--and keep them (the pets) off upholstered furniture the rest of the time (yeah, good luck with that). Vacuum and clean hard surfaces to get rid of dust mites. Replace your air filter.

Cool it with the air fresheners and smelly candles. A third of people with asthma report problems with these.

Don't pour for everyone--alcoholic bevs can trigger reactions. How about sparkling juice?

Spices are not so nices. Cinnamon, garlic, black pepper, vanilla--and others--can set off reactions.

And--this is new--watch the long cellphone convos. The phones can contains allergy-causing cobalt and nickel. These can cause redness, itching, blistering, and occasionally, scarring, in sensitive users.

A minefield, I say--how did we survive Christmas in the past?

Oh, yes--eggnog. If we weren't allergic to eggs.

No comments: