Monday, January 20, 2014

Recommendation: Movie about cancer--50/50

I am late to the party. My excuse--just got a cable (er, modem) system where I can afford movie channels.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the movie "50/50"--even though it's about having cancer. Or maybe because it's about having cancer and it wasn't awful.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Third Rock from the Sun) plays a 27-year-old diagnosed with tumors on the spine. Back pains, night sweats--bam!

His best friend played by Seth Rogan is a jokey, outgoing sort, sorely tested by this event. But he hangs.

There were a couple of things I really liked.

First, the muttering doctors spewing medical word salad and avoiding the bottom line. One doctor even dictated notes expecting the young man to somehow extract his diagnosis and future from the blast of medical blah-blah. I had an eye doctor who did that. Really, really bad, doctors--quit doing it.

The second thing I liked is how the protag did not WANT everyone's help and sympathy--he felt funny about it.

He bonds with some older men in the chemo chairs better than with his cheating girlfriend or even at times, his best friend. That's because he had entered Sick World, as I call it.

Rent this movie if you want. You won't be sorry.

No comments: