Thursday, January 30, 2014

Stress! Aieeee


Actually, a year and a half after my mother died (my sister and I cared for her for 18 yrs), I am at a stress low. But occasionally, I still feel tense or have to fight a feeling of dread--usually because of the awful state of our govt and country.

So, I decided to post some Stressbusters from Henry S. Miller, author of The Serious Pursuit of Happiness: Everything You Need to Flourish and Thrive. (What is WITH these subtitles?)

First, Miller says breathe more slowly and deeply. Three deep breaths--consciously release each slowly. The key word is consciously.

Speak more slowly. Deliberately slow down the pace of your speaking. I do this sometimes--especially on the phone.

Take a break outdoors. Just five minutes in the sun can restore you. I remember Norman Vincent Peale saying just THINK of the sun. It works.

Check your posture. Avoid slumping.  Walk around five mins of every hour.

Drink plenty of water and eat small snacks.

Do one thing today that has been bugging you. Vacuum, make a doctor's appt, something.

Reward yourself. A bath. A good book. A movie.

In short, give yourself an even break.

No comments: