Wednesday, March 05, 2014
Allergies to wet wipes on the rise
This according to Matthew Zirwas, director of the contact dermatitis center at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center.
Apparently these contain a chemical preservative that irritates a lot of people. The stuff was even named Allergen of the Year in 2013.
And just when you think--if it's mild enough for a baby, it must be OK.
Well, it could be the baby, too, has wipe rash, not diaper rash.
The docs say if you think you are allergic, stop using the wipe for a month. A week or two is not enough time to tell.
The Zirwas guy is an allergen detective of sorts--he even found something on escalator hand rails that was bothering people. People travel from all over to ask him what's up.
Allergen of the Year, huh. Wouldn't want these chems to get a swelled head.