Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Docs helping popularize health foods

Kathleen Squires, WSJ, Mar 15-16, 2014, says some Harvard physicians went to the Culinary Institute of America for a Healthy Kitchens/Healthy Lives conference. Actually, a raft of people went--dietitians, nutritionists, educators, sustainability people--and chefs. One guy was both a doc and a chef.

The idea is not to replace drugs with food but to move people to a healthier lifestyle.

They tended toward the Mediterranean Diet principles--fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, good fats, and good quality meat and dairy.

Dishes full of mushrooms, which can reduce tumors, and sardines are popular. (Salmon is spendy.)

One motto is "Farm before pharm." Catchy.

Still the doctor-chef prescribes blood pressure medicine, statins, and other allopathic remedies.

This isn't extreme--just extremely delicious.

I like sardines. But I am no cook and have not had them in decades. I do remember mashing them with lemon juice and putting them on bread. I guess that is not really cooking. I also like anchovies, although everyone in my family makes gagging noises. Loud ones!

And--just when I decided I loved Wendy's salads, I heard they were "worse" than the burger.


No comments: