Wednesday, April 23, 2014

We are blobs of microbes

According to the review of two books, The Amoeba in the Room by Nicholas P. Money, and Missing Microbes by Martin J. Blaser (WSJ, Sam Kean, Apr 19-20, 2014), bacteria found in the oceans alone weigh more than millions of times all the elephants on earth.

Ten thousand bacteria could be squeezed into this period--> .

We have 30 trillion cells each--but 100 trillions microbes. We need them--many--to perform functions, absorbing nutrients, and who knows what.

Well, doctors want to know what. They are wondering if killing microbes leads to autism, gluten allergies, peanut allergies.

The mystery within.

I just took a strong antibiotic, which permeated me, made me smell funny and killed who knows how many critters, good and bad. I no longer have pneumonia, but I still feel funny.

And not "funny" ha ha.


No comments: