Monday, September 08, 2014

Prevent school lunch ennui

Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan, WSJ, Aug 28, 2014, writes about a chef--winner of Bravo's top all stars--who makes lunch for his 3- and 6-year-old.

No uneaten food in the lunch box--that's his motto.

What's his secret? He makes them what they like--one likes cucumber sandwiches, so he makes then 3 times a week. Vegan mayo or hummus, of course.

Another likes peanut butter and jelly--whoa, too much sugar. So he substitutes ricotta and fig jam. That would NOT have been considered okay at my house.

Sometimes he tops the breakfast buckwheat pancakes with tomato, turkey and lettuce. No comment.

My Mom used to make lunches for summer camp and always put in a few pastel-colored Jordan almonds with a perfumey candy coating. We loved that little treat.

Some parents put in notes. Do they teach reading anymore?

I used to make little salads for my kid--in a plastic tub--shake to coat with dressing. Once I asked did she like her salad? She said, "What salad...Oh, I trade that."

No comments: