Friday, October 24, 2014

This year's Halloween warnings

First, let me say I don't think all the nutty fears of weirdos putting razor blades in candy have ever materialized. People set their hair on fire with this every year--they take candy to be x-rayed--and nothing comes of it.

Maybe you could keep the kids from eating the treats while out on the streets--and check it over in the light--but calm down.

The really scary part, says Loyola pediatrician Bridget Boyd, MD, is pedestrian safety.

Tell the kids where they can go--which streets, how far--and drill them on it. They must use sidewalks and crosswalks.

Usually, here in AZ, the parents are with the kids, I have noticed. Kids can go alone if they can follow directions and read a map, know the neighorhood, know how to call 911, and know their own number.

This will be about junior high age.

If you child has a nut allergy be very careful of what they eat.

If a costume is black or dark, be sure it has reflectors on it.

Make sure the costume is short enough so kids can walk without tripping.

No scary contact lenses.

No candles--even in pumpkins--use battery-operated.

I know this sounds like a buzzkill-but Halloween is so much fun, it's hard to kill the buzz completely.

Boo!

3 comments:

Anna Maria said...

Boo you! Great advice for children and their parents. I saw a news clip on TV the other day about those "fun" contact lens they are now selling to our children and the horror's of what painful injury's they can cause. It makes me wonder how they ever got on store shelves to begin with. Obviously manufactured by money hungry folks with no regard of their danger to children.

Star Lawrence said...

It seems to me every yr I comeup with this post--but maybe it helps someone. As a person with one sighted eye, I am against quirky inserts of any sort.

Star Lawrence said...

My daughter got a two-foot long black spider that leaps out of the ground--among her other decorations. You almost don't need candy!