Monday, December 22, 2014

How would YOU frame your medical record?

This is a hot button issue with me. How I appear in writing--entombed forever, mistakes and all, in a paper file or database.

One hospital here pegged Mom as diabetic--this came up every time--she was not. They would not change it--they said we could put a minority opinion--but they would not take out something "a doctor" wrote. The doctor did not write this--some gal sat there in the ER and picked things from pulldown menus--I saw her do it, I was there. Mom was old, so hey, must be diabetic. Bam! Click!

Some office nurse once asked my sister how her COPD was--she never had that, not even a cough.

I am always being told "diabetics just get detached retinas"--I am not diabetic, either!

When I went to the ER with pneumonia (it turned out), they said maybe I had congestive heart failure--my own doc said I did not. But it's in there now. My insurance plan called--do you want to be in a special congestive heart failure management program. NO, I DO NOT.

Recently my sister was contacted by a company called INGAGE--they wanted her to fill out a long health questionnaire. She did it! Now I am sure this goes straight to the govt.

Would such an offer be a chance to start over and get all the mistakes (such as the COPD) out of the record? I don't know.

On the flip side--a recent study showed half of patients surveyed withheld sensitive info from their medical records (J of General Internal Med).

A hundred and five people were allowed to withhold certain info from certain providers. Sexually transmitted diseases, substance abuse, other mental health problems--were some of these. They could say which providers saw which.

They also allowed the providers to "break the glass" and get the info anyway.

So...what is the point?

No comments: