Monday, June 22, 2015

Quinoa, quinoa, let's hear it for quinoa


Not Quinn-Noah...KEEN-WAH. I think. I have never eaten it that I know of.

Apparently it is chockful of goodies! The Institute of Food Technologists printed up a list in their pub Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety.

Protein: Big on protein, gluten free. One serving has enough complete proteins to provide 180% of the 10 essential amino acids.

Carbs and fiber. Ten percent of daily fiber,

Lipids. Quinoa seed oil contains polyunsaturated fats  with a higher Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio than other plant oils.

Vitamins. Rich in Vits !A, B, C and E.

Minerals. Calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc.

Saponins. Wha? This means this can be produced without pesticides.

I could go on--think reducing stress, building muscle, promoting digestion, fighting obesity, preventing diabetes--tons of cool advantages.

One description I read was brown rice mixed with oatmeal--fluffy, creamy, crunchy and nutty.

I think you boil it up and lace it with tahini or olive oil or something and add a bunch of veggies...sort of like pilaf. But if you are getting cooking advice from me, you are in big trouble.

No comments: