Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Householders--Pls don't hurt allergic goblins & ghosties

Chocolate bars, peanut butter cups, nutty treats--you don't want the kids keeling in the driveway.

The most common food allergies are milk, eggs, and peanuts, says Tracy Fausnight, a pediatric allergist at Penn State (er) Hershey.

Kids with milk allergies cannot eat most types of chocolate. Peanut allergy--this takes in a lot of candy. Those with egg allergies must avoid nougats (Milky Way, Three Musketeers). Even SweeTARTS have egg.

Older kids can dump the treats and sift out the bad actors. Some parents also let allergic kids dress up, but substitute a goodie bag when they get home.

Those warnings that an item was manufactured in a facility also processing say, peanuts, are not really reliable, Fausnight says.

What's safe?

--Skittles, Smarties, Starburst, Dum Dums, Haribo gummy bears.

--Stickers, pencils, bubbles, crayons, friendship bracelets, balls, and bookmarks. Also  money.

Some houses also display a sign--Safe for allergic trick or treaters.

Interesting to me is that this seems to have shifted from the mean lunatic stuffing treats with razor blades to a medical theme.

But still, kids do have sensitivities--and I guess it's up to everyone to look out for them. It takes a village and all that.

Of course, on Saturday that village will be Salem, Mass. Bwaaa-ha--ha.

No comments: