Friday, November 27, 2015

Hmmm...mobile dentist

I hate going to the doc and the dentist because I need to find a ride and then walk long distances on my horrible knees. I stall, dread, and blow off.

However, Case Western Reserve's School of Dentistry has renovated a 38-foot van into a dentist's office.

Dental students, supervised by faulty, provide oral exams, x-rays, cleanings, fillings, dentures, extractions, and cancer screenings for older people, many of whom had not seen a dentist in years.

They set up outside senior centers and assisted living--and for those who can't get into the van, they set up chairs inside.

Among dentists, the notion that seniors are harder to treat, the program's leader says. He says they want to take dentists out of their comfort zone of ignoring seniors.

Time was, he adds, old people just lost their teeth...But now, more of them are keeping more of their teeth and need specialized care.

I have used mobile pet grooming in a truck outside in front--why not a dentist?

PS I still hate that word "senior"--I always think of high school.

No comments: