Wednesday, February 03, 2016

You may not be getting evidence-based treatment in hospitals

I was hospitalized once for a drug interaction, but they claimed it was asthma (which I did not have). The nurse who took care of me--I could hardly breathe--said she was doing what she did for her son, which was moisture and sitting with me as I gasped. Apparently, there was no protocol for how to handle people who could not breathe.

According to Berndadette Melnyk, dean of the College of Nursing at Ohio State, use of tested practices is relatively low.

Many hospitals get poor scores in handling pressure sores or falls.

A substantial percentage (30%-40%) of hospitals do not meet national benchmarks for quality and safety.

 The study appeared in Worldviews on Evidence-Based Bursing. The team interviewed 276 chief nurse execs.

Most nurses interviewed believed in evidence-based practices, but said their organization employed these only sometimes or not at all.

Case in point: Children with asthma continue to be treated with nebulizers in the ER, although studies have shown better outcomes with a bronchodilator with a metered dose inhaler and spacer.

Evidence-based techniques yield at 28% improvement.

The nurse team also concluded that more nurses need to learn more about evidence-based practices and how to meausre outcomes.

Melnyk recommended you ask your nurse or doctor about the treatment--is it backed by science? Look it up--demand answers.

I got the nebulizer--and "breathing treatments" from a couple of techs who came around every so often during my stay. I went home with an inhaler. Stopping the offending medicine, though, ended the so-called asthma.

No comments: