Friday, August 26, 2016

Oldies but goodies

"Get off my lawn" is the alleged rallying cry of grumpy older people--yet a new study at the University of California San Diego suggests that the mental health of adults gets better over time.

They have an improved sense of psychological well-being.

You can check this out in the August issue of J of Clinical Psychology.

Interestingly, they also noted high levels of stress and symptoms of depression and anxiety in adults in their 20s and 30s.

Usually we think of aging as meaning loss of mental faculties--the old dementia bugaboo. We assume that mental health declines along with cognitive function.

Yet actual findings show mental health trending upward after middle age.

Most epidemiological studies show a decline in mental illness in older adult--dementias being the exception.

One reason might be that as you get older, you learn not to sweat the little things. Older adults may be better at adapting to stressful changes.  Older people may mature more emotionally.

I am getting my bathroom remodeled and have been living in a construction zone all week, so I may not be the one to ask...I feel like I am not as resilient as I used to be.

And--seriously--no one needs to get on my lawn, ever.

But I also have achieved some perspective in my later years. I know as easily as something turns bad, it can flip to good.

"This too shall pass."

But, of course, as a worrier, I still worry. What is it doesn't pass?

No comments: