Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Health eating--the baby steps way

I don't know about you, but I am a huge believer in one step at a time. I believe in chunking huge projects into, pardon the expression, bite-sized pieces. Since Thanksgiving, I have purged my garage, one junkroom bedroom, three bookcases and a huge bureau, donating or tossing hundreds of pounds of stuff.

And I did it 15 mins at a time. I would not do more than 15 minutes, even if I was feeling momentum. I stopped at 15.

The "Put Your Best Fork Forward" movement from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is based on starting small--one forkful at a time.

The Academy, for one thing, is focusing on balancing food and beverage consumption. (Of course, bevs do not do well on forks.)

So many calories get consumed in sodas or even fruit juices.

The idea is to figure out your favorite foods and include some of each of them, while doing a reasonable amount of exercising or moving in a day.

From me--some possible "Best Forks":

--No more seconds, ever. Eat a plateful and quit. Caterers figure 12 bites per person for a party. Think about that.

--Don't add sugar to things (yes, I put it in my coffee and probably will continue to).

--Don't salt food without trying it first.

--If eating sweets makes you hungrier, crabbier, sluggish or guilty, take a look at what you could have eaten instead--maybe nuts.

---Eat a carb if you want--it's a food group.

But remember--do just one...not all...not crazy things like saying I must lose 50 pounds.

Just that one forkful.

No comments: