Monday, February 06, 2017

Children may like pets more than their housemate humans

Some researchers at the University of Cambridge (UK) recently reported in the J of Applied Developmental Psychology that children may have a more satisfying relationship with the family pet than with siblings.

I know MY dog (when I had one) never called me names and contradicted my every word like my sister did (we don't talk now).

The US, in case you hadn't heard or seen the dozen or so veterinarian shows on TV, is a nation of pet lovers, with 66.5 million households having at least one four-legger.

Pets have a positive effect on our health-relieving stress, anxiety and depression. They love you no matter what. (Well, some do, anyhow.)

These scientists surveyed 77 12-year-olds with at last one sib and one pet.

They asked 30 questions.

The kids reported less conflict with pets than siblings and greater satisfaction.

They also found girls have stronger relationships with their pets than boys do. Girls may interact in more nuanced ways, the researchers said. (Such as dogvestism? Dressing the dog up in embarrassing outfits?)

I liked my dog because I could talk to him--and thus very cleverly avoid admitting I talked to myself. He used to glom onto me when I felt droopy. He made me laugh when his fur swept back he was running so fast.

The cat? It just isn't the same.

But I decided dogs were a vet-bill and falling risk...So no more...

No comments: