Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Hospital food--a new approach

I was hospitalized for 2.5 days last week. I noticed one big change. The food. Long the butt of jokes, hospital food used to be a tray of "dishes," ranging from mystery meatloaf , to a white roll with butter (nutritionless), to Jell-O cubes (ditto).

People loved to diss it.

This time, I noticed a large, laminated menu on the bedside table. It had pictures of luscious-looking food and categories such as Liquid Diet, Soft Diet, Regular Diet.

Apparently food at this hospital is not delivered a set times. You order--like room service. They arrive with snappy little bellboy hats on--but despite the incredibly heavy lids and plates, it's is cold anyway.

I know from blogging about this that this is an attempt to improve "customer service." But may I point out several things:

--The menu was on a table too far for me to reach--so I had to call a nurse to get me a menu. Then I needed to fish out the phone.

--I did not have my glasses the first day and could not read it. I ordered by the pictures. The nurse dialed the number.

--It was up to an hour to arrive.

--Your guests could eat--but they had to pay a pretty hefty fee.

I ordered once one day, twice the next...too much trouble. I did not have much of an appetite anyway, but wanted to eat something to heal, to gain strength.

And I wondered what if you were on say, a liquid diet and ordered a hamburger anyway--would they forbid it? Would you get in a big fight?

I missed the Jell-O cubes, I guess. the food--when it arrived--was regular old hospital food anyhow, The pictures lied.

No comments: