Monday, April 17, 2017

Report from your hospital insider

I missed posting for two days because I was in the hospital. One service I provide is getting all the diseases and problems so my readers don't have to.

I posted Wednesday, but was in agony from 6 am that day. I have made a reference (scroll down) to having a hernia. In the crazy mess our health care system is these days, and the difficulty I have with mobility with arthritis and no car, I had finally gone to the ER with the huge lump, knowing I could get tests and a diagnosis in one place. No trip for imaging, no trip for labs, no appts only on my kid's day off, etc.

They allayed my fears that is was cancer and said to consult a surgeon. Getting that appt took three weeks. We finally cabbed to him. He said since I have atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat), I would need a cardiologist to clear me. I had fired eight of them, but made an appt three weeks hence with a ninth. In turn, THAT guy wanted me to get two tests, which then had to be approved by my Medicare HMO and then scheduled. We had gotten one done.

Last Wednesday, the pain was horrible. I toughed it out all day and night and then the next AM, Thursday, we cabbed back to the ER. They said come back if it got worse--so I figured that was my doctor. I didn't even know. After another CT scan, they said the hernia was strangulated--meaning to a life and death point that could kill intestinal tissue.

The surgeon I had seen was not available and another doctor from his group took over and operated within an hour of seeing me. The intestinal tissue had not died (relief) and I woke up with five incisions, glued together with lavender skin glue (cool?).

The next day and a half in the hospital was a nightmare--so many tubes, could not turn over with no stomach muscles or knees to flip me, could not get up...ugh. I finally got out Sat afternoon after waiting 2 hours and 45 mins for the in-hospital doc to spring me (where the heck was he?).

I feel tired now, but the incision pain is greatly better this AM.

They said the hernia has probably been growing since I had a hysterectomy 33 yrs ago.

I will talk about hospital food--maybe tomorrow. I love all of you and am glad to be blatting away again.

1 comment:

Colleen Holmes said...

Oh, my, Star--so very sorry for your fear, pain, discomfort. Happy that the problem has been taken care of. Prayers for a swift and full recovery. ������������ Colleen