Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Have you ever been Mommy-shamed?

I have been Mommy-shamed...Once in a grocery store, my kid, then about 8, was lobbying for some stupid sugar item and I was resisting and she got louder and louder--and an older lady decided to inform me that all my daughter wanted was a little thing and why was I so mean?

I also know I stay-at-home guy who was approached in a store and a woman said, "I hope you won't let your daughter get fat like you." So it's not limited to women.

In fact, if you have a child, you will soon learn that EVERYONE knows better how to raise that child. The most adamant? Those with no kids.

Even big movie stars don't skate. Reese Witherspoon was recently criticized for giving her toddler a cinnamon bun for breakfast. Coco Rocho (Iced T's wife) was slammed for using formula.

In a recent survey done at the University of Michigan, six out ot 10 mothers of kids under 5 had been shamed.

Reese Witherspoon aside, most shaming comes from within the family. And the worst of those--the mother's parents--37%.

Next up, the spouse's parents or the other parent--36%.

Others who shame: Child care providers, doctors.

Yoiks!

What do they focus on, all these supposedly well-intentioned butt-inners? Diet, nutrition, sleep, breast v bottle, and child care. Not to mention--begging in the store! (Thought I would mention it again.)

Another shame area is safety--"what we used to do" may not longer be applicable.

Mothers in the survey thought they got the blame, but not the credit.

YEAH! Take that!

And what do the shamed do? Avoid those who are too critical.

No comments: